Life Safety

Why You Need A Carbon Monoxide Detector

By November 29, 2016 February 1st, 2017 No Comments
carbon monoxide detector

 

What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon Monoxide is called the “Silent Killer” for good reason.  It is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas that is very difficult to detect.  There are nearly 400 deaths in the United States each year due to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.  The best way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home.

 

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

According to the CDC symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning are:

  • Headache
  • Nasuea
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness
  • Shortness of Breath

and in more severe cases:

  • Mental Confusion
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of Muscular Coordination
  • Loss of Consciousness

 

How to Prevent CO Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide leaks are very difficult to detect.  The most effective way to prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is to get a CO Detector.  We suggest you have at least one on every story of your home, in your living room and in your kitchen.  It is also important to make sure that one of your CO Detectors is near your bedroom because we are especially vulnerable to CO Poisoning at night.  And if the alarm does go off during the night, you need to make sure that you will be close enough to hear it sound. 

If your Carbon Monoxide Detector goes off vacate your home and call 911.